Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Reason 517 why I am often ashamed to belong to this species



They say that humans are the only creatures capable of feeling shame. In my opinion, we are the only ones who ever have cause to feel that emotion. This is one poor elephant that somehow managed to escape from poachers in Amboseli National Park in Kenya. I hope it has lived. Scenes like this truly break my heart. Just like when I see huge, magnificent whales being hauled up the sides of boats for "research purposes," or sharks having their fins hacked off on deck and then thrown back into the ocean. Or cows, that can't even stand up, being poked and prodded with forklifts, hoisted up with chains around their necks, to get them to walk to the slaughterhourse floor. Fcuk. Don't these things somehow damage our collective kharma? Can such atrocities - nevermind what we do to each other - continue unabated, unpunished?

I'm sorry for this. I know it isn't the most uplifting of posts. Sometimes, especially when I see a photo like this, it's just overwhelming.

No comments: