Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Two crows joy

Anyone else superstitious? I am somewhat, I guess. I would never walk under a ladder, for example, and I'd change my path to avoid a black cat. A rocking chair should never be left to rock with no one in it (like after you get up from one - stop it from rocking for god's sake! Do you want someone to die?) Of course, similar dire consequences are apt to ensue should you be foolhardy enough to make your bed with the open ends of the pillowcases pointing inward rather than toward either side of the bed to ward off evil.

And whenever I see just one crow, I quickly scan the sky for another:

One crow sorrow, two crows joy;
Three crows a letter, four crows a boy;
Five crows silver, six crows gold;
Seven crows a secret never to be told.

This morning, though, I heard a cardinal when Kaiser and I returned from our pre-dawn walk. Surely that must be a good thing, or at least (please god), a sign of spring.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I avoid walking under a ladder not so much out of superstition as the belief that if anything can fall from above, it WILL fall on me given my luck (and clutsy nature).

cb said...

I like the catchy crow saying.

And I have NEVER heard the rocking chair thing.

Jeff said...

Thanks for commenting guys!

I just thought of another silly superstition I always follow, too: Whenever I spill salt - at the table, while cooking, etc. - I always throw a little over my left shoulder. Just sos I don't get into a fight later on. (Brad, of course, just shakes his head.)