Tuesday, May 26, 2009

10 Honest Things

Joy, from Babble On (link in the side bar) tagged me quite a while ago with this meme where you have to write 10 honest things about yourself... So here goes!

1. I dislike driving. Not the driving itself so much as the other idiots on the road. For years and years now, I have generally taken the bus to and from work, and that no doubt has saved me no end of misery. I was involved in one incident of road rage a number of years ago: as I tried to pass the vehicle ahead of me, dude kept speeding up and would not let me by. I came to my exit, signaled, and gave him the finger as I took the turn. To my amazment, dude swung his car onto the exit ramp at the last second, ending up behind me, screaming and gestering with his fist (which I saw through my mirror, obvioulsy). Ooops, think I! Perhaps giving the finger to this psycho was not such a great idea afterall! In any case, I keep on driving to my destination (my doctor's office, as it turns out), thinking that at least they will be able to patch me up after dude beats me up! The whole time, the idiot behind me is screaming and shaking his fist. LOL... I continue on to the gate of my doc's parking, and finally dude gives up and drives on past. What is up with that, anyway? I mean, people have given me the finger a couple of times while on the road, and I just think, well fcuk you too, asshole, and continue on my merry way.

2. I like to cook and I like to eat good food and drink fine drink. Spending the day in the kitchen is therapeutic for me, not a chore. When it comes to food (and most other things in life, actually), I will spend top dollar to obtain the best there is. Though I could be wrong, my instinct tells me that we only go around once, and life is too short to scrimp on the important things!

3. I dislike insects, particularly spiders. I think it comes from my early morning walks with the dog. At 5:45 or so, I am generally the first one to crash through the webs made overnight as we make our way down the sidewalk. One of the grossest things I've ever seen was a poor bumblebee hobbling through the air inside my brother's camp. As it flew past, it gave off this rank odour of rotting meat. Yuck. In any case, I killed it as it landed on the kitchen table, and when I squashed it, scores of tiny spiders spilled out onto the table. Christ. I was agast, to say the least.

4. I am honest. I do not cheat. Cheating is for losers in my book. Even when someone makes a mistake and gives me back more change than I gave them in the first place, I point out the mistake and carry one. My one exception to this was with a cute red head who used to purposfully undersell me lottery tickets when I would buy them at the convenience store he worked at. I pointed out the mistake on 2 occasions (to which he said, "Oh, that's okay" (big sneaky smile)). After that, I told him to get a passport, as I would have to taken him away for a couple of weeks when I won!

5. I have to know what times it is. Always. It would drive me crazy not to have a watch. This is especialy true since I do travel on the bus and often have just minutes betwen stops when I can run into the mall and run a quick errand, mail a letter, or buy a lotto ticket! ;)

6. I have no mind whatsoever for films or even books. I enjoy both when watching or reading them, but ask me 3 weeks later about a film I had just seen or a book I had just read, and I will not be able to tell you much about them. I can, however, recall an experience, encounter, or conversation forever. I also remember smells and noises. My brother's pipe, my father's cough, the woodstove and cigarette smoke at my aunt's cottage, the little bell the sounds when a train door closes in Switzerland, uzw.

7. To Brad's continual dismay, money means very little to me. I generally am a spendthrift. If I see something I want, I buy it, come what may. This somewhat relates to the quality aspect of No. 2, but it also goes deeper. Dum vivimus vivamus! (While we live, let us live!)

8. I love to travel and experience new cultures and languages. We try to go overseas at least every other year. To my mind there is no better education than travel. I think I caught the bug when I was in Grade 4 and went on a road trip to Florida with my parents and grandparents. For me, it was a blast. Looking back, the adults probably all had their own agendas, but I had a great time and remember many details of that trip to this day.

9. Coronation Street is a secret pleasure. I grew up watching soap operas with my mother and sisters. It's what one did after getting off the school bus and before supper. Back then, it was the Edge of Night and Another World (Rachel & Mac, Russ & Lenore, Iris &n her maid Vivian, Martha & Bill, the lot of 'em). Then I watched Texas for a while as I got older. For a long time, I fell out of the habit altogether, but I have started watching Cory Street in the last years years, and enjoy it thoroughly! So there!

10. I believe in guardian angels or spirits that look out for us when we are too stuipd or otherwise unable to look out for ourselves.

1 comment:

Joy said...

Thanks! I like to travel for the same reasons you do and wish I could do more. I know what you mean about remembering movies and books. Sometimes I do but not as often as I'd like.

That road rage guy was unbelievable! He needs to calm down.

I can tell you like to cook and enjoy seeing the pictures and descriptions of your creations.