Sunday, May 04, 2008

Des Carrées au Citron/Lemon Squares

Well, I guess the lemon squares were a hit last night at the potluck. Thankfully Brad was able to bring a couple home. They truly are quite good - very, very lemony. This time I sprinkled a tiny bit of ground cardamom in the crust mixture, but you can't really taste it. I'll put a bit more in next time, not quite a teaspoon perhaps. I am also tempeted to throw in some chopped fresh rosemary with the lemon mixture. I think rosemary and lemon are a match made in heaven. Here's the recipe for the basic squares:

Crust:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, softened

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Cut ingredients together in a large bowl (I use a pastry cutter). Pat crust into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish (I use a Pyrex dish). Bake for 15 minutes. Prepare topping while crust is baking

Topping:

2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup flour
3 eggs
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
Grated rind from 2 lemons

Mix ingredients together in a large bowl and pour over baked crust. Bake another 20 minutes or until slight golden on top. (The topping will still be quite wobbly, but it will set once cooled. Cool squares and sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired (I usually don't use the powdered sugar).

Here's the finished product:

2 comments:

Mark in DE said...

Spouse LOVES lemon squares and would trade chocolate for a lemon square any day.

Mark :-)

Jeff said...

These are Brad's fave, too. It was kind of his birthday cake this year!