Saturday, May 10, 2008

Skinny Saturday 11

Holy Smoke. The weeks, they go by fast! Not much new to report this Saturday. We went down to see my mother today instead of tomorrow for Mother's Day. I figure a couple of my brothers might go to see her tomorrow, so she should have lots of company then. We took her her usual supplies: large-print library books, juices, apples, and oranges, all bran bars, etc., as well as a bouquet of flowers for Mothers Day. She had yet another fall this past week. This time she hurt her hand and one finger in particular. Her hand is all swollen and black and blue, but they don't think the finger is broken. Sigh... this is her second fall in less than a month. One of these days, she's going to break her hip or crack her skull... What can you do? Not much.

And when I went to pick up my perscription for the little blue pills that I take at night (I had called the refill in yesterday), the pharmacist told me that they couldn't do the refill because it was too early. "What?" I screamed (not really, but I did say it with a certain amount of frustration in my voice). Apparantly, when she wrote the last perscription, my doctor had indicated "one pill every 2 days, as needed" instead of what I have always had in the past, "one pill at bedtime, as needed." So the 35 pills I got were supposed to last me 70 freaking days, as opposed to the 35 I had assumed. (I hadn't even looked at the pill bottle.)... Grrr... Anyway, the pharmacist gave me 3 pills to tide me over, so to speak, until I can call my doctor and get her - HOPEFULLY - to change the prescription. I'm tempted to use this as an opportunity to get off these damn pills all together, and I may try to do that, but with Italy coming up in just a few weeks, I KNOW I will undoubtedly need them there, so it's a bit of a quandry. Fuck. People who don't have trouble sleeping have no idea of what they take for granted.

In any case, enough sighing and moaning. On to the boyz of Skinny Saturday!





1 comment:

Mark in DE said...

Sorry to hear your mother had another fall, but glad she wasn't seriously injured.

Instead of sleeping pills, have you tried alcohol before bed? Sometimes I have trouble getting to sleep. If I feel 'alert' or think I may have trouble getting to sleep I drink a cocktail. It helps. BTW, wine doesn't contain as much alcohol as hard liquor so have a cocktail, NOT a glass of wine.

Mark :-)