Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Last Rose of Summer

I just came upstairs after taking the pie out of the oven and there was a skating special on CBC. One of the skaters, I'm not sure who she was, was skating to the music of Charlotte Church's rendition of the Last Rose of Summer from the opera Martha. I know that song intimately, having listened to it many times on Renée Flemmings CD. Ms. Flemmings' version is vastly superior to Ms. Church's and I will try to upload it myself on YouTube in the days ahead. In any case, this song touches me deeply, as I would like to have it played at my mother's funeral. I know, that is very morose, but I know that day is coming. Now or in 10 years time. And the song is absolutely beautiful. I would not mind if it were played at my own funeral. And you know what good taste I have. Here are the lyrics. When I manage to upload Ms. Flemmings' version on YouTube, I will post that here as well:

'tis the last rose of summer,
Left blooming alone.
All her lovely companions
Are faded and gone.
No flow'r of her kindred,
No rosebud is nigh,
To reflect back her blushes
Or give sigh for sigh.

I'll not leave thee thou lone one
To pine on the stem,
Since the lovely are sleeping
Go sleep thou with them;
Thus kindly I scatter
Thy leaves o'er the bed,
Where thy mates of the garden
Lie scentless and dead.

So soon may I follow
When friendships decay,
And from loves' shining circle
The gems drop away!
When true hearts lie withered
And fond ones are flown
Oh! who would inhabit
This bleak world alone?
______________

Till I get a chance, this version will do:

1 comment:

Mark in DE said...

Beautiful. A fitting tribute for someone as beautiful as a rose.