Sunday, January 24, 2010

Dios Mio!

Has it been a week already since my last post? Jeez. Ca passe vite!

It's been a rather uneventful week with the exception being that last Monday I learned that I might be able to start working from home come March! OMG! Needless to say I am thrilled, and Brad is doing his best to be act like he's happy for me! Haha.. He has been working from home for many years and has grown quite used to having our place all to himself during the daytime. Oh well. I'm sure we'll manage somehow! I live for the day when I no longer have to take the bus to the opposite end of the city and work with many of the morons that I do. Speed the day, I say!

It was VERY cold here this morning - around minus 18 C, but it has been warming up all day and we're supposed to get rain tomorrow and Tuesday. Ugh. I HATE rain in the wintertime.

Got down to see mom for a while this morning. She looks good and has no major complaints. Long may it last!

After I got back from mom's I made an Indonesian Peanut Soup and the lentil salad with sun-dried tomatoes and feta. Brad made Shaun's special spinach salad to take out to his father's tonight for a good-bye party for one of his neices who is going back out West. I am actually starting to feel like crap (sore throat and stuffed up sinuses), so I am sitting this one out.

Here's the recipe for the Indonesian Peanut Soup:

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon canola oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 or 2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
2 teaspoons minced fresh lemongrass*
4 cups water
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1/3 cup chunky peanut butter
1/4 cup ketjap manis**
2 tablespoons lime juice
1teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

Method:

In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno(s), ginger, and lemon grass and sautée for 4 minutes. Add the water and bring to a simmer. Cook for 12 - 15 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and add the coconut milk, peanut butter, ketjap manis, lime juice, and dried seasonings and cook for 5 to 10 minutes more over low heat, stirring frequently. Stir in the cilantro. Yeild: 6 to 8 servings.

* Ketjap manis is a thicker, sweeter Indonesian style of soy sauce.

** I use chopped zested lemon peel, as good fresh lemon grass is hard to come by here. Works great!

Have a good week peeps!

2 comments:

Maurice said...

You tell Brad not to be so selfish! LOL

Having been a work-at-home guy for nearly 15 years, I can attest that there's no other way. At least, I couldn't imagine any other way for myself. Jeff, I'm sure once you two figure out the workspace logistics, you'll manage just fine. Funny, I was speaking to other friends in Halifax yesterday and one of them is also going to start working from home in March, just as there are more and more of us where I work. It's clearly a huge advantage for employers who have been finding that those who work at home tend to be more productive for a variety of reasons, not least of which because they fundamentally appreciate the arrangement.

Mark in DE said...

How wonderful that you, too, may be able to work from home! You and Brad may want to have separate works areas though, just to keep your work rhythms.

That soup sounds wonderful!!!