Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Flowers in February


This is a pic of some brown-eyed Susans taken in our back yard a couple of summers ago. Kaiser's nose somehow got in there too... They're a reminder that Canada does indeed have a season called summer. Right now there is at least 3 and a half feet of snow covering the flower beds. (Hmmm... Is it just me, or do most Canadians still measure snow in inches and feet as opposed to centimetres and metres?) In any case, it has been a long, cold, snowy winter here in eastern Canada. And with no end in sight. The temperature is forecast to drop into the minus 20s (now temperature, however, I measure in degrees Celsius) later this week and another snowstorm is scheduled for Saturday.


Good friends of ours jetted off to Cuba the other day for a week of sun and warmth. Two years ago, a good friend and I went to the Mayan Riviera for a week in February. It was incredible... to get away for just a week in the middle of winter. To feel the sun warm your skin and your spirits. To jump (ooching and ouching) across the hot sand. To float in a warm salty ocean. To smell summer and see bright, vibrant colours, especially green. Ça fait du bien, as they say in French - It's good for the soul.


But this year, for now, I'll have to settle for these...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How I miss our Star Friends . . . and you of course.
P.

Jeff said...

Whaaa... I can hear the clickity-click of the ice pellets hitting my window as I write this... I want to go back to Mexico!!

Anonymous said...

"To feel the sun warm your skin and your spirits. To jump (ooching and ouching) across the hot sand. To float in a warm salty ocean."

Welcome to my every-day life Jeffery! (insert evil laugh here). And yes, in case you are mistaken, I did say EVERY...DAY! (insert louder more pronounced evil laugh here).

Spanadian

(fading Echoes of more mocking evil laughter here....)