Sunday, May 17, 2009

New digs!

So we got mom moved on Friday! All and all, it went quite smoothly. And thankfully, it was a sunny and warm day, better than the rain that was originally forecast. I went down around 11:00 a.m. and got her clothes and other things packed up and put into our car. Brad came down about 1:45 p.m. with the van we had rented and the two of us moved her big things out of her room. We were down to her new place by 3:00 and got her room set up and most of her clothes hung up. She sat out in the beautiful sitting room while we worked away in her room. Brad and left by suppertime (they had a yummy-looking meatloaf, potatoes, and peas, with homemade lemon meringue pie for dessert) and we met up with Shaun and Mary for drinks at our usual spot and grabbed a bite at our favourite Greek place for dinner. Don and Marlene were supposed to meet us as well, but I think they gave up on us and left before we arrived - we were about 25 minutes late. Sorry we missed you, guys!

My sister-in-law and my nephew's wife and I went back down to mom's new place yesterday. We had a good visit, hung some of her pictures on the wall, and my sister-in-law culled through her winter clothes and hung up her summer ones, which I had taken down with us. Mom is liking the place more each day, especially the food. Yesterday, she said it was "heavenly" to have vegetables that hadn't been frozen! I also took down a local seasonal delicacy - fiddleheads, which are the unopened heads of fern fronds that grow along the riverbanks in the springtime here. They are great steamed and served with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice or vinegar and butter. Brad and I will be having some tonight for dinner as well.

Here's a few pics of the new place:




The sunset in the photo on the wall below was taken at our shore on the next lake over. I bought her the raspberry picture on the wall also. It was a tedious process, but many years ago mom taught me how to make pie crust that rival her own. Brad used to leave the house for the first 3 or 4 months whenever I attempted to make pie crusts. The air would often turn blue! Now, of course, they're a cinch.

No comments: