Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Like sand through the hourglass...






... No story of our days would be anywhere near complete without a whole lot of Samson thrown in. Sam was our beloved golden retriever who was our constant companion for 12 years. We brought him home when he was 7 weeks old and never looked back. When he was about six, we moved into a new home and brought Kaiser into the picture. They got along famously and became fast friends in no time. At first, Kaiser deferred to Samson quite a bit. If Sam wanted the blanket Kaiser was laying on, all he would have to do was stand there a few seconds and Kaiser, grumbling under his breath, would get up and move, leaving the blanket for Sam. After settling in some more, though, Kaiser became somewhat harder to budge... He'd simply lay there and say, "What? You talking to me?" One day, when he just really had to have Kaiser's bed, Sam sauntered over all waggity-wag, a frisbee dangling from his mouth. Kaiser jumped up beaming - big brother wants to play!! Sam dropped the frisbee and took possession of the blanket... Oh, if dogs could smirk.

On another occasion when the 4 of us were back-woods camping in Fundy National Park, Brad set off with the dogs on a short hike. For some reason (yeah, yeah, so maybe I'm not the keenest camper who ever pitched a tent in the woods), I decided to stay at the campsite to count mosquitoes. A short time later Samson came bounding back into camp, with Kaiser and Brad bringing up the rear. Sam was a little older and apparently was really dragging along on the hike. Brad thought he might be sick and asked him if he wanted to go back... That was all it took. He ran back to me as fast as he could. He wasn't "old" or "tired," he simply wanted all of us to be together.

Yesterday I read about the US Marine in Iraq who threw a puppy off a cliff. I guess there is a YouTube video, too. I couldn't watch it. There simply are no words. Were the authorities to consult me on an appropriate punishment, I would probably recommend resurrecting that lamentably long-lost Roman tradition of setting up a cage match between the undesirables and some rather hungry lions and let karma take its course.

The first two pics were taken in our backyard and the two others are from our last vacation together. PEI in October 04. Sam loved to go the beach and he loved to swim. He was a huge part of our lives for many years. He died on October 26/04. Fifteen days after his 12th birthday.

Till we meet again, old friend...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sam was a beautiful, amazing, distinguished and special dog...

Mark in DE said...

Beloved pets become family members, nearly the same as humans. How wonderful that your lives were enriched by Samson.

Though I may grumble on my blog and threaten harm on our pooch, its just a ruse. She's a member of our family and I love her.

Thanks for sharing your warm story.

Mark :-)

Y said...

I`m sorry for your dog,Jeff!
I know how you feel cuz I lost my cat a year ago(she was 12 too when she died).I too believe we`ll reunite one day!

Jeff said...

Thanks Toni!