Friday, January 16, 2009

Brrr [again] and Books

Well, it's another extremely cold day here in eastern Canada. This is the coldest it has been in several years in fact. When I gave Kaiser a very short walk this moring at 6:00, it was -35C (-31F)!! The last few winters, I don't think the temperature dropped much below minus 20 C, and certainly went no where near the minus thirties. Thankfully, there is only a very light wind, but even with that, the windchill is in the minus forties! This will be a very good weekend to stay inside curled up by the fireplace with a good book.

Speaking of books, I finally finished The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. Wow. It was a very well-crafted tale that definitely left me wanting more. It was the first novel by American David Wroblewski. I look forward to reading much more by him in the future. Thanks to Seth for recommending him.

That clears the way for the next two books on my nightstand, which I will probably read simultaneously. First is The Wisperers - Private Life in Stalin's Russia by Orlando Figues. It's a large book that will no doubt take a while to get through, but I am looking forward to it. I have a fascination with most things Russian, particularly during the Communist era.



And the second book, which I will get through in a week or two is Mark Bittman's new
work called Food Matters: A Guide to Conscious Eating. The book is designed to get people to become more environmentally aware and preparing food that takes as little toll on the planet as possible. It includes 75 recipes. Bittman lost a chunk of weight following his new program, so I am hoping it will help me out in that respect as well. (I'll give you a progress report on Sunday regarding my weight loss thus far).



Have a great weekend all and STAY WARM!!

1 comment:

Mark in DE said...

Food Matters sounds interesting. I look forward to your review of it once you've completed it.